A man in his 50s leaves his lifestyle in landlocked Switzerland to live and sail around the world on his old 40′ yacht. He’ll documents his adventures as an on-going continuous real life selfie-documentary called Winded Voyage.
Ever feel like getting on your own boat and sailing away. Letting the wind just carry you on a winded voyage to your next destination. Living in the moment day by day in your own vessel that carries you on an infinite journey on a vast oceanic universe? Well, I sure have! I’m in my 50s, alone and a grandpa to three kids. Now it’s time for G-Dad, as my grand kids call me, to live his dream now. As Mark Twain once wrote, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover”.
But feeling something and doing something are very different, so I decided to do something about what I’m feeling and buy a boat. I began my journey of the oceans by going around a sea, the Mediterranean. As well as an navigating through some paperwork and mathematics to get my ocean license, called a Swiss Certificate Of Competence For Ocean Yachting.
I began by searching for an affordable vessel. Then buy it. Fix it. Learn about it. And sail it to where the winds blow me. My budget is modest, to prove that just about anyone can do it. I fixed up my boat to house me and carry me, and as well I have an editing studio to document my adventures as a web video series which I’ve called, Winded Voyage, a living adventure series.
I left the frigid south coast of France early one February morning wind at my back. The next day the wind got to 45 knots. It was my second day out and sailing solo. Later I sailed into Barcelona. Continued down the Spanish coast to Valencia, Alicante, Cartagena and to Gibraltar. My steering chad broke and had to fix it there before crossing to Africa. Tangiers Morocco. And out across the Atlantic to the Canary Islands where I’ve spent a year so far. Visiting every island one by one and very slowly to soak in everything they generously offered. From fiestas and festivals. The most incredible Carnaval. Volcanos and secluded anchorages. Deserts and jungles. Meeting some of the most interesting people. And learning to sail in one of the most demanding sailing training grounds.
So if you’re curious to see what it takes to leave your comfy home and sail around the world, to see the successes and failures of this real life adventure, make sure to tune in to my Winded Voyage blog, subscribe to my YouTube channel and watch my Winded Voyage from the beginning.
Winded Voyage Video Series
Direct from S/V Galopin, a new Winded Voyage video every week
- Episode 35 | Menacing Sea And Busted SteeringSailor Alex2018-09-15T11:43:28+02:00
- Episode 21 | Sailing Into Barcelona CenterSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:17:16+02:00
- Episode 20 | Sailing 45knt Gales in CataloniaSailor Alex2018-09-15T11:43:29+02:00
- Episode 19 | Final Preparations And GoSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:18:19+02:00
- Episode 18 | The Old Boat Becomes A New VesselSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:18:28+02:00
- Episode 17 | Proudly Raising The MastSailor Alex2017-03-25T16:14:47+01:00
- Episode 16 | I’m Back In The Water AgainSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:18:59+02:00
- Episode 15 | Thou Shall Not Keel OverSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:19:09+02:00
- Episode 14 | Getting Even KeeledSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:19:19+02:00
- Episode 13 | To Beard Or Not To BeardSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:19:29+02:00
- Episode 12 | Life On The HardSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:19:38+02:00
- Episode 11 | Getting High On GalopinSailor Alex2018-09-15T11:43:29+02:00
- Episode 10 | We’re All In The Same BoatSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:19:58+02:00
- Episode 9 | Hi Ho, Hi Ho & Off To Work We GoSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:20:07+02:00
- Episode 8 | Spaghetti Wires and HosesSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:20:15+02:00
- Episode 7 | Ze Wind In The AssSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:20:22+02:00
- Episode 6 | The Tortoise & The HareSailor Alex2018-09-15T11:43:29+02:00
- Episode 5 | Not So Silent NightSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:20:45+02:00
- Episode 4 | Viva BarcelonaSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:20:54+02:00
- Episode 3 | Anchoring Woes & Engine FailureSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:21:04+02:00
- Episode 2 | Challenged In Solo SailingSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:21:13+02:00
- Episode 1 | Got The License. But Can He Sail?Sailor Alex2018-07-02T00:21:24+02:00
- Winded Voyage | Season 2 | TrailerSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:21:35+02:00
- Episode 35 | M.O.B ‘Till We Get It RightSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:22:07+02:00
- Episode 34 | Wind, Waves, Rain & The Final PushSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:22:15+02:00
- Episode 33 | Sunrise Under A Corsican SkySailor Alex2018-07-02T00:22:21+02:00
- Episode 32, Into The Mouth Of BonifacioSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:22:31+02:00
- Episode 31, Stuck In Sardinian ParadiseSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:22:46+02:00
- Episode 30, Tuna For Breakfast, Lunch & DinnerSailor Alex2018-09-15T11:43:29+02:00
- Episode 29, West vs. East Coast MinorcaSailor Alex2018-07-02T00:23:23+02:00
The photos from my Winded Voyage
Winded Voyage photos organized in galleries to see where we’ve been and what we saw
Stories are just part of the Winded Voyage
Here you’ll read about people, places and adventures!
Aleader Water Shoes | Best Shoes Ever For Land & Water
Aleader Water Shoes | Best Shoes Ever For Land & Water Aleader Watershoes or water shoes are the best shoes ever for land & water. That's just my opinion. But I mean it! Why are Aleader water shoes the [...]
Father and son sail The Canaries
Father and son sail The Canaries Sebastien had some free time in his busy schedule of being a Dad, an event organiser and musician. It was summer time in Switzerland and that's where he was. Sailing never really was [...]
Swiss Taxi Driver
Navigating the streets of 80s New York City as a Swiss Taxi Driver. When I lived in NYC, I got my medallion taxi license to make ends meet in between Madison avenue jobs and on weekends. (One [...]
Is Sailing A Science?
Why I chose to do the "Swiss Certificate of Competence for Ocean Yachting". You don't need a license to sail in France. Therefore, being in France, I need not have a sailing license. But being Swiss on a boat [...]
Captain's Quarters Mementos of his Chilean home My neighbor German has been collecting nautical treasures in his Captain's Quarters for many years and from across several continents. Originally from Chile, German fled his country during the Pinochet [...]
Testing Life Aboard
Testing Life Aboard The reason we had no heat or lights is simply because we did not know how to turn on the power. Duh! We finally figured it out, got a little heater a bunch of food and drinks. [...]